Abruzzo is rapidly rising in popularity as an ideal destination for food lovers and for those seeking an authentic country experience. Here, off the beaten path, you will find the soul of Italy, along with those food and wine experiences that make Italy a beacon for buongustai (lovers of good flavors). You will learn how food is grown, harvested, caught, and prepared as you get to know the soil, the climate, and the sun and air of the Abruzzo region. Local tradition and culture combine to create flavors that will leave an impression on your heart as well as your palate.
Using the small and comfortable Hotel San Marco in the seaside town of Vasto as your base, this small group tour will explore some of the region’s most picturesque locales, savor some of the most interesting wines, and cook and eat with people who have dedicated their whole lives to creating taste.
Enjoy a hands-on cooking class led by a real Italian mamma, a pizza-making class, and the chance to prepare fresh fish dishes on a traditional fishing structure known as a trabocco. You will also learn how to make ricotta cheese from ewes’ milk and taste local wines and olive oils right on the farm. Meanwhile, you’ll be taking in sights like the serene sixth-century abbey of San Giovanni in Venere and the “castle in the sky” of Roccascalegna.
Depending on the season, you can choose to focus one day on the following activities: truffle hunting, gelato making, olive harvesting, making tomato passata (the sauce that is a base for many recipes), or spend a magical evening on a trabocco fishing house.
The package includes:
- Pick-up and drop-off at Rome Fiumicino airport
- Six nights at Hotel San Marco in the historic center of Vasto (double occupancy; single occupancy available at additional cost)
- All meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), including food, water, and wine, in participating restaurants (except one lunch)
- Three cooking classes (pasta-making, pizza-making, and fish cooking), including all food costs
- Guided tour of the historic center of Vasto
- Guided tour of the Roccascalegna castle, including transportation
- Guided visit of a trabocco fishing house in Rocca San Giovanni, including transportation
- Olive grove visit with olive oil tasting
- Winery visit with wine tasting
- Visit to a sheep farm with cooking and cheese-making demonstration
- All entrance fees for excursions and tours
Please note that in the event one of the listed hotels or activities is not available, it will be replaced by another of equal significance and value. The sample itinerary is just a guide to activities during the week. The final itinerary is subject to change without prior notice to take advantage of the season and the weather.