1. Name and what you do at Select Italy?
My name is Julia and I am a Custom Travel Planner at Select Italy.
2. What is your favorite Italian destination?
I can’t imagine going to Italy without stopping in Rome for at least a day. I lived there for three years and to me it feels like home. Sardinia is another place that I love. I arrived on the ferry at Golfo Aranci the first time and I thought I’d never seen such a beautiful sea. The interior has an arid desert quality but as you drive towards the coast, you suddenly see this line of vivid turquoise and you realize that it’s the coastline! Exquisite.
3. Whom would you go there with?
I’ve enjoyed traveling on my own and I’ve met some terrific people that way. But a trip with the company of good friends is something I wouldn’t pass up either.
4. Which three things should never be missing from one’s luggage when traveling to Italy?
A trip to Italy isn’t complete without:
- a good camera or two (along with your battery charger and extra film of course)
- a lot of patience
- a strong sense of humor
5. What Italian food are you addicted to?
I could eat granita every day. I had it for the first time in a terrific Sicilian bar in Rome called Mizzica, by Piazza Bologna. They served me three flavors – pistachio, dark chocolate and almond- in a wine glass! And that has ruined me for life. That and pizza bianca.
6. Reveal to us a secret about Italy! Food, shop, unique view, restaurant, your favorite T4T… Whatever we are really curious!
There is a wonderful shop in Rome at 59 via del Moro called Polvere di Tempo. It looks like a dusty little curiosity shop from the outside, but they sell gorgeous old maps and hourglasses, many of them handmade. There’s also a jewelry store called Mateul 80 Gioielli run by two dear friends of mine, Toni and Silvia. It’s always one of my first stops when I come to Rome – Toni is a brilliant artisan and his pieces are affordable and absolutely one-of-a-kind.
Would you like to visit Rome, Sardinia or both?
Never miss an article!
Subscribe to receive new blog articles straight to your inbox!