For the twelfth year in a row, Select Italy has had the honor of being awarded Travel+Leisure’s prestigious A-List Travel Agent award. Since the award’s inception, Select Italy has been noted for its specialization in offering tailored travel services and custom itineraries.
This special honor got our Select Italy experts thinking, what Italian destinations and custom experiences made them fall in love with Italy? What was their inspiration behind a lifetime of passion for this beautiful country?
Below some of our Select Italy experts compiled a list of their favorite Italian destinations and tips on where you should travel and what you need to see on your next trip to Italy!
- Bologna is a city that is no stranger to both Select Italy experts Maria and Justin. Noting the vibrant atmosphere and the outstanding food (Bologna is the birthplace of ragu’ alla Bolognese) this city is located in Italy’s region of Emilia-Romagna. The must-see Baroque architecture, Towers of Bologna, and exquisite shopping denotes Bologna as a tantalizing destination and a trip you shouldn’t skip out on!
Langhe Area of Piedmont
- Characterized by its rolling hills and abundance of vineyards and winding roads, Langhe stole our Select Italy expert, Beth’s heart. Known for its famous wines, cheese, and truffles, the Langhe area is a foodie’s paradise. Located in Italy’s region of Piedmont in the upper north-west corner of Italy, Langhe not only invites food and wine lovers but shows an unmistakable raw side of Italy’s culture.
- For a relaxing retreat, the island of Ponza right off the coast of Lazio between Rome and Florence is one of Italy’s greatest undiscovered gems. Sandy beaches, nature walks and delectable seafood is no stranger to Select Italy expert Arianna. A magical and peaceful slice of Italy, Ponza is heaven on earth.
- Nestled in the region of Emilia-Romagna, Ravenna is certifiably beautiful city for its early Christian mosaics and UNESCO World Heritage Listed monuments. Exploding with history and culture Ravenna is appreciated by Select Italy expert Michaelanne for its small town charm and and great atmosphere itching to be explored.
- Positioned in Italy’s northernmost region near Austria, Bolzano has awe-inspiring views of the Dolomites. A German-Italian bilingual province, a trip to this endearing city will allow for unmistakable discovery and a different view of the Italian culture and way of life.
- Situated on the east coast of Sicily, this small town is a famous and widely celebrated tourist destination. Beautiful and magnificent water paired with outstanding seafood, Taormina is truly paradise. Select Italy expert, Martina is no stranger to this spectacular cliffside setting. When visiting Taormina take the time to unwind in a luxury hotel and savor la dolce vita.
- UNESCO World Heritage Listed, the Aeolian Islands are a volcanic archipelago in the Tyrrhenian sea, just north of Sicily. A popular tourist destination for those who are looking for a luxurious and easy going vacation, plus the food is scrumptious. Select Italy expert Guly, who calls Italy home, appreciates the Aeolian Islands not only for its relaxing atmosphere but also for the many opportunities to explore and experience another fantastic side of Italy.
- The third largest lake area in Italy, and nestled into the region of Lombardy Lake Como is a one-of-a-kind natural beauty and one of Select Italy experts, Abby‘s, favorite destination in Italy. For many centuries, this picturesque area has been a popular destination and many celebrities have or have once owned a home on the lake. Often referred to as one of the most beautiful lakes in Europe, Lake Como is definitely a stop you should make while in Italy!
What is your favorite Italian destination? What made you fall in love with Italy?8 Alluring Italian Destinations That Will Change Your Life by Nicole M
Never miss an article!
Subscribe to receive new blog articles straight to your inbox!